Sunday 7 December 2014

Varkala

Alicera Ayurvedic resort doesn't look anything like how it does on booking.com. The clean, clear swimming pool on arrival has green algae growing on it. I shan't be getting up early to do a few laps in that. The owner is a woman and is from the Ukraine and understanding her is very difficult. I pay for two nights and the next mornings breakfast in advance. How I wish I hadn't paid for that breakfast. 200 rupees which is basically 2 quid which is nothing at home but over here you can get a really nice breakfast for half the price. It consisted of some fruit, muesli, a smoothie (which were all ok) and some cold dry toast, a slice of wrapped in celophane processed cheese and a teaspoon of jam on the side. Nothing Ayurvedic about it. Allison asked for a milky coffee and got what looked like a cup of runny mud with some thick curdled milk stuck at the bottom of the cup. Apparently it tasted like an oxo cube with a hint of coffee. The room looked and felt like it hadn't been used in quite some time. Dusty floors and dirty sheets.
The redeeming feature was the beautiful view from the steps down to the beach.
Getting down to the beach was a different matter, a long winding staircase had to be overcome first. This of course was not a problem for me but for Allison it was a little to steep and high for her to feel confidant in her descending ability.
Once down to the bottom we were greeted by a beautifully quiet sandy beach with not a soul around.



From South cliff Varkala we made our way to North cliff Varkala where there was more life, more guest rooms and better places to eat breakfast and all other meals. After sorting out new accommodation as we had decided to move down to this side of the beach we met up with Lili at the Juice Shack. Lili is a friend of Allison's who she met at her Tribe yoga teacher training at Arambol in Goa last year.
Chilling out was the order of the day and we spent our time between three different cafes and restaurants via a dip in the ocean.
Whilst I guarded our stuff as Allison and Lili enjoyed the soothing, cooling effect of the sea I was approached by an Indian guy. Coming from London and having that don't trust anyone attitude I was concerned that he was part of a gang out to steal people's cash and belongings. "Your  a very handsome man" he exclaims, has something been lost in translation I thought whilst I laughed out loud. "What's the matter" he asks. Is this guy coming onto me I thought. "Are you gay?" I ask, "no I'm not gay" he responds. Perhaps the men out here just say things like that to each other. I have noticed men holding hands and being very comfortable with each other. They seem to show more affection to their male friends than they do to the women. I'm feeling somewhat uncomfortable and am waiting for Allison and Lili to come and save me. He senses this and and asks if I am bored of talking to him. Politely I say no then hold out my hand for him to shake and say "see you later". He walks away and starts talking to the next westerner he sees. A bearded hippie type who's seems more open to his charming introductions.
The sun is shining, the weather is sweet, Yeah.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment